Wilson's Planting Service
Wilson's Garden Center can plant any trees, shrubs, perennials, or roses purchased at our store.
- Licking County
Example For Planting
Cost Per Plant + Cost Of Planting Per Plant + Cost Of Delivery = Subtotal + Tax = Total Price
Delivery is not per plant. It is an overall delivery fee to bring all plants to the homeowner.
Plant Installation Includes
- Bumper Crop® Soil Conditioner
- Master Nursery Bumper Crop® Starter Fertilizer
- Bonide® Root & Grow
- Extended guarantee
- Initial watering in of plant material (Homeowners responsibility to follow up with the proper watering schedule.)
- Free delivery for plant purchases totaling $500.00 or more. (Within Licking County, including Nashport & Frazeysburg addresses. Out of county (surrounding counties) will incur a $30.00 surcharge.) Under $500.00, standard delivery fees apply.
Before We Plant
- The location of the planting is determined before we come to plant. Occasionally, a plant may need to be moved due to obstructions, spacing issues, or less than ideal conditions. In this case, the planter can give recommendations.
- It is imperative that you place the white flagging into the predetermined planting location as soon as you get home. If you were not given flags for your planting please call us at (740)763-2873. Leave the flag(s) in place until our planter removes them. It is State Law that we call OUPS (Ohio Utilities Protection Service) for any plantings we do. The flags must be in the ground for OUPS to locate lines in that area. Planting will not occur if the lines are not located. See below for more information on OUPS.
- OUPS marks only the mainline that goes to the home. Any electrical, phone, or cable lines going to other areas from the home, irrigation systems, and underground fencing are to be marked by the homeowner.
- We are unable to plant where there has recently been an existing tree or roots from mature shrubbery. We cannot remove existing plant material, nor do any hardscaping.
Plant Installation Does Not Include
- Staking: Most trees do not need to be staked after they are planted, but if you, as a homeowner, feel that you need to stake your tree, then we do have kits available for purchase at the store. It is your responsibility to stake them.
- Removal of sod, rocks, roots, or any other barrier located within the planting area.
- Items cannot be planted within six feet of tree stumps.
- “Hardscaping,” i.e., pathways, raised beds, stonework, and pond installation.
- The planting area needs to be easily accessible and suitable for planting.
What To Expect Day Of Planting Or Delivery
Delivery / Planting Time:
Deliveries/plantings generally occur between the hours of 9 am – 5 pm. We cannot tell you a specific time, as the timing of each planting and/or delivery varies. We will contact you if it is beyond the general hours.
- Plantings and deliveries are scheduled based on location. You do not need to be home.
- Deliveries are generally placed in the driveway near the home. If we are planting, make sure that the flags we gave you are still in place.
In the event of inclement weather or scheduling conflicts, we will call to reschedule your delivery/planting for the next available spot.
As much as our planter would like to answer all your questions, due to COVID19, we ask that you keep interaction brief while maintaining social distancing guidelines. We ask if you have questions to keep them brief so the planter can get the work done quickly and efficiently. For more extensive questions about the care of the plant(s) or if you need landscaping advice, we ask that you call or stop in and speak to a sales associate.
Once We Have Planted / Delivered
As plants are living beings, there are a few responsibilities you will have in caring for them.
- Watering: Proper watering is essential, especially in the first year of planting. Our sales staff can help you determine the proper timing and watering of your plant material. Failure to water correctly can void your guarantee.
- Deer Browsing: Our guarantee does not include damage from deer eating, rubbing, or breaking. If you have deer, protect tree trunks against rutting with a guard and spray all plants with Deer Stop as directed on package.
- We Do Not Stake Trees: Most trees do not need to be staked after they are planted, but if you, as a homeowner, feel that you need to stake your tree, then we do have kits available for purchase at the store. It is your responsibility to stake them.
What Is OUPS?
OUPS is a communication link between utility companies and homeowners or businesses planning any digging activity. Examples: Trees, shrubs, pools, ponds, and new gardens.
Is It Ohio Law To Call OUPS before Digging?
Yes, her in Ohio; by law, we have to contact OUPS before digging. Wilson's will contact OUPS for the homeowner if we are planting.
How Long Does It Take?
OUPS needs 48 hours but no more than 10 working days (excluding weekends and legal holidays) before planting can happen.
What Is The Phone Number?
8-1-1 or 1-800-362-2764
What Information Does Oups Need To Know?
- City or Township
- Specific location on the property of the digging: i.e., Right front corner of the property, Front of house, Marked with a white flag
- How far off the road the planting is being done
- Closest intersecting road
- How far and what direction from the intersection
- Date of digging
- Purpose of digging
- Type of equipment being used for digging
What Happens If OUPS Is Not Called?
If OUPS is not called and a line is hit, the business or homeowner will be fined for repairs.