Saving Sunflower Seeds
Saving sunflower seeds is an easy fun project to do on a summer day.
1. Grow sunflowers in a sunny area. Start from seed or purchase transplants to plant into the garden.
2. Cut flower about 12 inches from the flower head after the flower head has lost its petals and the head droops.
3. Place a paper bag or nylon stocking over the top of the flower head.
4. Hang upside down in a garage or shed. The area needs to be dark and dry. This may take several weeks.
5. The seeds are ready once the flower head turns completely brown. Take hand and brush the seeds into a bag or bowl.