Slugs In The Garden
Slugs & Snails love moist areas and usually are found hidden under pots, among plant leaves and in the mulch. During the day they hide away from the sun's hot rays, coming out at night and on cloudy days, where they seek out a variety of different plants, fruits, and vegetables to dine on.
What To Look For
To tell if you have them look for the silvery mucous trail that they leave behind on the plants. Another way you can tell is by taking a lid full of beer and placing it in your garden at night (sinking it level with the mulch). They are attracted to the beer. In the morning, check the lids.
There are many organic ways to help with management:
- Keep your garden weeded.
- Eliminate areas where they can hide, such as woodpiles.
- Water in the morning and not at night.
- Use bait such as Garden Safe Slug & Snail Bait or Diatomaceous Earth.
- Attract beneficial predators such as toads, turtles, birds, snakes, ground beetles, and firefly larvae.
- Small strips of copper can be placed around flower pots or raised beds as obstructions.